I have been wanting to travel solo ever since I turned 18 years old. Now, at 20, I finally did it! I am currently in Utah and I will be staying here for 2 weeks. I’ve only been here for 4 days, but the amount of solo-travel tips I came up with is too big no to share! So here it is: 18 tips for your first solo-travel experience!
1. If you’re not comfortable with being alone for 2 weeks, try to find a destination where you may know people. I chose Utah because a friend of my mom’s lives here, so I have someone when I need help.
2. A solo trip doesn’t have to be 2 weeks! You can just as easily go on a city trip by yourself!
3. Save up some money before booking a trip. You will need it for plane tickets, accommodation, food, shopping, visiting stuff, …
4. Going on a solo trip is really adventurous, whether you’re going backpacking or staying in a big city. You don’t have to go all out and go on a month-long backpacking trip to be able to say you did something adventurous. Traveling solo for the first time is an adventure on itself!
5. If you want people to talk to, try staying in a hostel. Hostels ae great for solo travelers because you sleep in dorm rooms and you eat at the same table. Guaranteed you make friends and have someone to talk to at all times.
6. But hotels are great too! If you want some more comfort, hotels and Airbnb’s are a great way to relax. They give you your own private, personal space, which can be amazing.
7. Always read reviews before you book something. Whether it’s a hotel, a hostel, a restaurant or a museum, reading reviews before booking makes sure you’re not wasting your money and you know exactly what you’re paying for.
8. If you have the ability to walk wherever you’re staying, walk! The easiest way to explore a city is by walking or biking through town. I personally love to rent a city bike and explore.
9. Uber is your best friend. When the distance is too great or the weather is just really, really bad, use Uber to get to your location. It’s so easy and very safe! Also, it’s way cheaper than a taxi.
10. When walking around town, look confident. The best way not to get bothered on the street is to make it seem like you know what you’re doing. Walk with confidence and people will think you know exactly where you’re going.
11. Eating healthy doesn’t have to be expensive. A lot of restaurant chains offer healthy food as well.
12. If you don’t want to go out for dinner at night, buy dinner during the day and eat it in your room. Or you can also order takeout.
13. Don’t take risks because you want to be adventurous. Like I said in tip number 4, your first solo travel experience will be adventurous no matter what. Don’t take any risks like hitchhiking, walking alone at night or drinking all by yourself.
14. Do what you want to do. The best thing about solo traveling is that you can do whatever you want, whenever you want. But keep in mind that everything is your own responsibility.
15. Plan a little bit, but also ask locals or your ho(s)tel receptionist what you can do or see in the city you’re visiting. I planned one thing for every day and had the rest of the day to either explore or head to the hotel and work on my blog.
16. If you don’t want to do something, then don’t. Just because you planned out your trip, doesn’t mean you have to do everything exactly like it’s mentioned on your schedule.
17. Let your family or friends know what you’ll be doing and where you’ll be going on your trip. By texting them in the morning with your plans for the day, they are informed about your whereabouts. Should anything happen, they know where you were and/or what you were doing.
18. HAVE FUN! A solo trip is an amazing experience, so the most important thing is to have fun and just take it all in as it’s happening.