I found this amazing recipe on Pinterest and I had to share it with you! The original recipe is by fivehearthome.com, so definitely check their website out for more delicious recipes! Anyways, here’s my take on it!
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted and cooled
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups diced apples
For the topping:
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C. Line muffin pans with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together the egg and sugar until thick and well-blended.
- Gradually mix in the butter until incorporated.
- Slowly mix half of the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, blend in milk, and then stir in remaining flour mixture until just combined. (Add a splash more milk if batter is too thick, but be careful not to add too much!)
- Gently fold the diced apples into the batter.
- Evenly divide batter between 12 to 15 muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until muffins are light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool in pans for a couple of minutes before removing them to a cooling rack.
- Once muffins are cool enough to handle (or you may wait until they’re completely cool), pour melted butter into a bowl. Mix sugar and cinnamon together in another bowl. Dip the top of each muffin in butter and then press it into the cinnamon sugar mixture until generously coated.